Five Reasons to Paint Before You Move In
Paolese / Adobestock
Moving to a new house or condo this fall? Before filling your home with furnishings, there’s something you might want to do first: paint. Experts say the very best time to do interior painting is just before moving into a new home—here are five reasons why, according to Debbie Zimmer, paint and color expert for the Paint Quality Institute:
1. It saves time. Painting can take a lot longer when you have to cover and uncover things, move them back and forth, and take down and rehang artwork. It’s better to paint just before moving and short-circuit these time-consuming steps.
2. It can save you lots of money. If you’re using a professional painting contractor, they can complete the work far faster in rooms that are empty. This is extremely important, since time charges for labor typically account for 80% of the cost of painting, according to Zimmer.
3. It safeguards your furnishings. No matter how carefully you or your contractor work, there is always the chance of a paint spill, or a few stray flecks finding their way onto a prized possession. Painting before bringing in your furnishings keeps these items out of harm’s way.
4. It can simplify interior decorating. Don’t have your furnishings yet? There’s no better way to set the stage for your decor than by adding a fresh color scheme before decorating. Doing so greatly simplifies the selection of new furniture, carpeting, and accents, narrowing down the options for tones and shades to make your new home picture-perfect.
5. It freshens up your home. Adding a new coat of paint gives any home a clean, fresh, and welcoming feel, and getting to pick out your own color palette makes is feel more “yours.” To keep your paint job looking great, Zimmer recommends the use of top-quality 100% acrylic latex paint; it will produce a more stain-resistant finish that will look brand-new for years to come.